Saturday, August 14, 2010

WEEKEND FEATURE: A is for Adam

Although Adam Slade is a newly published author (yadda yadda), he's more importantly a new fiance and proud papa of two gorgeous dogs.

two gorgeous couples (L: Adam, Rhaina; R: Dream the Ladypooch and her pup, Poppy)

Oh, all right, you want to know about Adam's book.  Sheesh, you're so pushy. For one thing, you can check out Adam's Facebook Author Page Here's the info on A Reaper's Tale (Lyrical Press, 2010).

Even Grim Reapers have bad days on the job.

Mal has managed to stay out of the afterlife for 31 years, despite having been dead for the last three. He's a Grim Reaper, and while he may not be the most enthusiastic, he enjoys his "life" too much to give it up to death. But he's got a problem. A troubled young woman's soul becomes bonded to his, and a vicious demon is hired to retrieve it.

If Mal can't get her soul free in a hurry, he's doomed to share her destination, whether it be heaven or hell.



Step #1
LIGHTNING ROUND
  • music or gym class? Music (though I was terrible in both)
  • high school or college? High school! (I lasted a month in college.)
  • school lunch or sack lunch? School lunch!
  • crayons or markers? Crayons!!! Woooooo! (I used to eat them.)
  • first crush:  Claire Deacon, I think... The first truly memorable one was Jennifer Heal.
  • favorite subject: Science!
  • favorite teacher:  Mr. Counter (our head), or Mr. Parker (Geography).
Step #2
TELL US about any of your weird writing habits or idiosyncracies. (ie, What’s one “thing” you need to write, the thing without which the creative juices would cease to flow?)

I like to have a large cup of tea at my side when I start. Other than that, I’m not sure that I have any. Dull answer, huh? ;)

Step #3
TEACH US one or two of your favorite vocabulary words.

Mellifluous - “Having a smooth rich flow.” If only I could get my writing to conform to this more often...

Step #4
BOOK BLANKS
  • The last book I finished reading was Fool Moon by Jim Butcher
  • I gave it 4.763 stars. (Out of 5.2)
  • One word to describe it is AWOOOOOOO!!!.

Step #5
QUESTION: What's your favorite school-age memory?

Hot summer afternoons, laying on the grass and talking to my friends. Also, in the last year we got to go to a local indoor climbing wall. I don’t have the best head for heights, but hanging around with my friends in the bouldering sections was great fun (pun intended).

Step #6
QUESTION:What effect did school (elementary through college/grad school) have on your writing?

None whatsoever. I started writing at around 23 years of age, and it was in no way related to any sort of education, and was all down to the amount I read.
While I enjoyed English lessons, I was never any good at it. I sat toward the back with the... less attentive kids. ;)

Step #7
GIVE US THE SCOOP. Tell us something about yourself that’s exclusive to In Search of Giants (ie, has never been publicized in print or podcast interviews.)

I’ve told people so much, through blog awards and Facebook notes, that there isn’t much left.
I can dislocate my left thumb, and for years I had to do everything symmetrically. Ie, if I did something with my left hand, I’d have to do with my right. Other than dislocating thumbs. That was a lefty exclusive.



MONDAY: F is for Farrah

11 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you, Adam. Love your puppies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tena!

    Love the thumb x-ray, Aerin! :D

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I give this two dislocated thumbs ups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ew.

    Also, ew.

    I'm so relieved you don't have any writing musts either. I always feel like I'm not a proper writer or something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well finally......crayons! They are so wonderfully timeless (and apparantly yummy too)! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Travis - Thanks! I can only give it the one. :(

    Mel - The thumbs or the crayon eating? It's true, I have nothing special that I have to do. ;)

    Amy - Yup! Love 'em! :D

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mellifluous. That's a fun word to say. I'll have to see about adding it to my vocab. Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fellow back of the class kids, I salute you.

    Though I have to admit, I moved up a few rows in college.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tara - My dad taught me the word when I was around 11/12. It's well and truly lodged in there now. ;)

    John - Thanks!

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a wonderful interview! :) I'm so happy I have passed by here, and read more about you Adam. Nice to know about your thumb! Have you done any bouldering since school? As I love it, and indoor climbing too. Aerin you have a great blog here! :) Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Ana!

    Barring a couple of trips out with the family, I've done no climbing for years and years. :)

    Adam

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails