Tuesday, August 17, 2010

G is for Genella

My next guest is another friend-of-a-friend recommendation, but one word as to why I immediately connected with her:
By day, Genella deGrey is an executive assistant at a major motion picture studio, by night she is a romance author. She’s had stories rattling around in her head since high school, and has been writing off and on ever since. In her spare time (what spare time?) Genella enjoys reading historical romance, collecting healing crystal and stone jewelry, live music and participating in historical reenactments.


In addition, she is a makeup artist for independent films and does occasional set dressing. Her favorite set dressing gig was with the Resort Enhancement Team where she refurbished, created, and displayed Christmas decorations for the Walt Disney Resort. She has worked for the resort in many capacities, both back stage and on stage, and for her, Disneyland will never lose its magic.

Genella also has a keen interest in the spiritual. She loves wandering around in graveyards and haunted places, the older the better. New Orleans is one of her favorite haunts, as is Tombstone, AZ.



Step #1
LIGHTNING ROUND
  • music or gym class? Music – I took choir for seven years, which was fun. But in my junior year I took archery. It came in handy for Ren Faire later. :)
  • high school or college? College. And someday I'll attend. ;)
  • school lunch or sack lunch? Sack
  • crayons or markers? Oooo, tough choice. Crayons if I'm drawing with my son, markers if it's just me.
  • first crush:  Peter Pan. Yes, the cartoon. Seems I'm still falling for the same kind of men as an adult - LOL
  • favorite subject: Probably Drama class then, now I'd take history in a heartbeat.
  • favorite teacher: Mrs. McCarthy – World Lit. She treated us respectfully and I learned about amazing artists in that class: Escher, Shakespeare, Dickens, to name a few.
Step #2
TELL US about any of your weird writing habits or idiosyncracies. (ie, What’s one “thing” you need to write, the thing without which the creative juices would cease to flow?)

I know this is odd and may be TMI, but honestly great sex fires-up my muse.

Step #3
TEACH US one or two of your favorite vocabulary words.

Superfluous - Exceeding what is sufficient, not needed, unnecessary extravagant.

Step #4
BOOK BLANKS
OK, here's the sad thing about this, I haven't been able to read lately – I've been in apartment search hell for a couple of months and my son is about to start kindergarten – all this on top of my 9 to 5. Yeah, I've been a bit busy lately.
  • The last book I finished reading was  by
  • I gave it stars.
  • One word to describe it is .
Step #5
QUESTION: What's your favorite school-age memory?

Performing at Disneyland with either Choir or Tall Flags.

Step #6
QUESTION:What effect did school (elementary through college/grad school) have on your writing?

None whatsoever. Everything I've learned thus far has been from life-after-school experiences.

Step #7
GIVE US THE SCOOP. Tell us something about yourself that’s exclusive to In Search of Giants (ie, has never been publicized in print or podcast interviews.)

I've been single for six months . . . ? Seriously, there's not much going on here that doesn't have to do with major life-altering change. Luckily, I embrace change. :)



TOMORROW: H is for Holly

7 comments:

  1. Step 2 really cracked me up. On behalf of all the readers, I wish has loads of IT. :D :D :D

    I see, I've been away too long to miss on a lot of things. Will go back to them now. :)

    PS: A would always be for Aerin. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... I had Mrs. McCarthy too, but it was a totally different experience!

    I was a fairly-normal, well-adjusted kid from a happy home when I started in Grade 6, and when the year ended, I was terrified that I was dying, and needed tranquilizers to fall asleep every night.

    Maybe it wasn't the same woman. :-)

    Thanks, Genella... I enjoyed meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aniket! Woot! Thanks! Back at ya! :D

    Richard - You poor thing! It couldn't have been the same teacher - My Mrs. McCarthy taught 11th and 12th grades.

    Thank you so much, Aerin, for the interview!

    Y'all come visit me any time at genelladegrey.com

    :)
    G.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like the "life-after-school" education is a pretty great thing! Well done on the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for joining us, Amy!
    There's just stuff you go through out there in the big ol' world they can't teach you about in schools -
    :)
    G.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hah! That's hilarious, Genella! I've found the opposite to be true when I'm writing erotica. If I'm not getting any (hah!), then the book gets really steamy. If I get some, the book gets less and less so.

    Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. G just wanted to say you are one very special lady. It has been my honor to know you. Keep reaching for the stars hon!

    Love
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails