Monday, August 16, 2010

F is for Farrah

I'm grateful to Shauna Roberts (S is for Shauna, coming soon) for introducing me to Farrah Rochon. I don't have any cute personal anecdotes to share about Farrah, since I've just met her myself. I will tell you, however, that I share her deep dark secret (see Step #7).

Farrah Rochon, award-winning author of the popular Holmes Brothers series, hails from a small town just west of New Orleans. Currently residing in Austin, Texas, Farrah writes contemporary romance. She was named Shades of Romance Magazine's Best New Author of 2007, and her debut novel, Deliver Me, claimed the prize for Best Multicultural Romance Debut.

Her latest novel, Huddle With Me Tonight, marks Farrah's debut with Harlequin's African American imprint, Kimani Romance. Huddle With Me Tonight is the first in her brand new series, which centers around the fictional New York Sabers football team. The second in the series, I'll Catch You, is a March 2011 release.

D'you see any similarities between the cover of Huddle (white towel, killer six pack) and, oh, another of my favorite celebrity icons (white towel, killer six pack)?


I'm just sayin'.



Step #1
LIGHTNING ROUND
  • music or gym class? Music
  • high school or college? High School
  • school lunch or sack lunch? Sack Lunch
  • crayons or markers? Markers
  • first crush:  Patrick Swayze as Orry Main in North and South (I was going to marry him)
  • favorite subject:
  • favorite teacher: Brenda Mitchell (sorry Mom)
Step #2
TELL US about any of your weird writing habits or idiosyncracies. (ie, What’s one “thing” you need to write, the thing without which the creative juices would cease to flow?)

Coffee!!! Yes, I know I probably can write without it, but I’m too afraid not to. At night, when I’m thinking of the scene I will write the next day, I actually imagine the first taste of coffee hitting my tongue. It’s as if my imagination cannot function without it.

Step #3
TEACH US one or two of your favorite vocabulary words.

Sluice (the verb form) - It means to flow or pour out of.
I didn’t realize this was a favorite word until my sister, who is currently doing a beta read of my latest book, called to tell me I must really like this word because I use it over and over and over. Did I mention that my sister can be very harsh?

Step #4
BOOK BLANKS
  • The last book I finished reading was Operation Prince Charming by Phyllis Bourne.
  • I gave it 5 stars.
  • One word to describe it is enchanting.

Step #5
QUESTION: What's your favorite school-age memory?

When my sister (yes, the same one who has a mean streak) surprised me by having a flower bouquet and the newest John Grisham novel (The Client) delivered for my birthday. Many of my classmates didn’t understand why I was so happy, but getting that book on the release day was like finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. It was so special.

Step #6
QUESTION:What effect did school (elementary through college/grad school) have on your writing?

Throughout my high school and college years, my English teachers encouraged my writing. From winning the top prize in my ninth grade English class, to having a former professor choose a poem I wrote about my grandmother for publication in the department’s academic journal, my former teachers were my biggest champions.

Step #7
GIVE US THE SCOOP. Tell us something about yourself that’s exclusive to In Search of Giants (ie, has never been publicized in print or podcast interviews.)

Since I am all over the web, it’s hard to think of something that others don’t know about me. However, I’ll share a deep dark secret…I have neither read nor seen Gone With The Wind. I know, it is a travesty of the highest order to ignore such a classic. I’ll get to it eventually.


TOMORROW: G is for Genella

17 comments:

  1. I've never seen Gone with the Wind either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it wonderful when life delivers those pots of gold in rather simple ways? A delightful interview! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so want Old Spice Guy on the cover of my next book, Aerin! I'm on a mission to get him...umm...for the cover of the book. :)

    Thanks so much for the opportunity to blog. It was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's cover is HOT!!!! I'll be sure to look out for the SLUICE word ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen or read Gone with the Wind either.

    I suspect that Old Spice commercial probably doesn't sell the aftershave well. After watching it, women don't want to get their man Old Spice, they want to get the Old Spice man.

    Cute interview.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's so good about "Gone With The Wind"? I ain't seen it either!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Farrah, no GWTW? And you call yourself a southerner! :)

    I didn't notice the similarities of the Huddle cover (which I like) to the Old Spice dude (who I can't stand). Funny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen Gone with the Wind, either. It must mean something.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, Farrah (and Aerin), I must say that the book cover and the Old Spice Guy look a great deal like some recent beach photos taken of me (well, that is... except for my farmer's tan).

    Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice interview, Farrah! I never made a connection between the Old Spice guy and you cover. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great memory of your sister's gift of a John Grisham novel on release day. I love sister stories (probably because I don't have a sister).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Orry...my dear... you have awesome taste.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're the best Farrah! Great interview, love the cover and Old Spice Guy :) I can't wait to read HUDDLE WITH ME TONIGHT.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your sister sounds awesome. And I've never read GWTW or seen the movie -- and I live in Atlanta.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the guy in the old spice commercials. i would love 2 c him on the cover of one of your books!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Farrah - If you liked North and South, you might like GWTW, too (although it's not quite a spicy.) Just sayin'

    If your cover WAS the Old Spice guy, I'd insist that it be scratch & sniff.
    LOL
    XO
    G.

    ReplyDelete
  17. F is for Fiddle dee dee, its ok you haven't seen/read GWTW, as long as you get the accents right!

    You get to be there when they do the photo shoot for the cover, right? NO? Well your next contract will have to include that!!! Just sayin!
    Love,
    Rose

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails