Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Problem with Birthdays

I'm a moody person.  Stop, I know.  You're shocked.  I can be joyous and jubilant one day and in doldrums the next.  It's how I roll.*  Not only do I find myself, on this rainy Sunday afternoon, post-birthday, but also post-blog-party and post-morning-with-my-students (today's sermon: "Celebrating Harry Potter: Spiritual Seeing & Living" by the Rev. Keith Thompson.)  

I start to question everything when I get lonely: the meaning of life, my own self-worth, the authenticity of my relationships, the unfairness of some people being this beautiful, and the all around strangeness that is people's obsession with True Blood **


By tomorrow I'll be okay again, of course.  For now, I'm going to go do something totally self-indulgent. I know you're going to be jealous.



I'm going to go hit Sephora.  If you haven't heard from me in three weeks, send the search parties there.



*That one's for you, Travis.



** Come on. Sookie Stackhouse as a name? Seriously? And Stephen Moyer? Could we get a less attractive vampire? And....no I haven't read or seen any of the series.  I guess it can't be worse than Twilight.

5 comments:

  1. Is your post birthday let down why I feel so crappy today? I thought it was the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I grow up, I want to be as pretty as Aerin.

    (Don't knock True Blood, though. You haven't seen the other vampire...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've offended me, too. My niece in NY worked on the ad campaign for the first season of True Blood, and Anna Paquin's Canadian... sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday anyway.

    Birthdays are way better than the alternative. Right?

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails