Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Wings by Aprilynne Pike

Wings Wings by Aprilynne Pike

May 1st 2009 by HarperTeen
Hardcover, 304 pages 
0061668036    (isbn13: 9780061668036)
rating: 3 of 5 stars



"Laurel's shoes flipped a cheerful rhythm that defied her dark mood."

Wings, author Aprilynne Pike’s debut, tells the story of Laurel as she starts a new school in a cozy California town. Her mom’s a homeopath, her dad is opening a bookstore, and her first friend at her new school is a hunky science whiz. When two zit-like bumps appear on her back and keep growing, Laurel has to face the reality of who she is and what her purpose really is.

Wings is one of the first YA books I've read that caused me to think, “oh. This is definitely YA.” Don’t misunderstand. Pike’s writing feels effortless, her characters are real, and Laurel herself is a kick-ass protagonist. It’s not urban-punk fantasy in the sense of Holly Black’s Tithe, but it’s more urban fantasy than, for example, Frewin Jones’s The Faerie Path.

A definite choice to buy for girls ages 12-16. Some sex references make it (probably) inappropriate for younger than that. A library check-out for others (YA or fantasy fans, or, strangely, environmentalists).


Carrie Ryan, Charlotte's Library, Alex Moore I, Alex Moore II, Alex Moore III, Alex Moore IV

6 comments:

  1. I've wanted to read this book ever since I heard of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wings sounds good, I almost bought it the other day. Think I'm gonna borrow it though, save my precious book purchasing money for books that will wow me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I've never really been interested in this novel--until now! It sounds really good--guess I shouldn't have been judging the book by the cover...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's suburban fantasy!

    I agree that this is definitely YA. Which is kind of refreshing, it seems like teens' tastes are getting crowded out of their own genre lately! Despite the Meyers blurb, I'd say Wings reads more like a romantic Harry Potter for girls than like Twilight. It will be interesting to see which direction Pike takes the series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love the US cover of the book. And although I don't really enjoy YA books aimed more towards tweenish ages I still think I'll give this one a try =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review! I love that you think it is so def. YA, because that's exactly the way I feel too! Glad you enjoyed it!!

    A.

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails