Thursday, May 7, 2009

Faerie Path by Frewin Jones

The Faerie Path The Faerie Path
by Frewin Jones

February 1st 2008 by Eos
Paperback, 336 pages
0060871040 (isbn13: 9780060871048)

rating: 3 of 5 stars


"Anita Palmer stepped out of the shower and reached for the bath towel."

Anita has a boyfriend and the lead role in her school’s production of "Romeo & Juliet." Then, a freak boating accident on her 16th birthday reveals a secret: Anita is really Tania, the seventh daughter of Oberon and Titania, King and Queen of the Faerie Realm. Life in Faerie is renewed, even as Anita struggles to find her place in this new world and say goodbye to her life in the old. And when she uncovers a sinister plot to overthrow Oberon, Tania has to choose between her mortal and immortal self, and between two young men who claim her love.

I read this book immediately on finishing Wings by Aprilynne Pike, not knowing they were so similar in initial plot. In fact, for the first two or three chapters, I wondered how Pike could get away with such close plot points. Then the similarities end, and Faerie Path veers off into a more traditional fairy tale.

I preferred The Faerie Path to Wings, partly because of the story itself and partly because of the semi Old English dialect Jones skillfully employs. I am also a sucker for any book about sisters.

Faerie Path is the first of a serious, but I thought it was well contained within itself. You won’t feel an immediate need to read sequels (but you’ll probably want to.) This is a good choice for an avid YA or fantasy reader who will enjoy – for at least 4 volumes – the world that Frewin Jones has created.


Em's Bookshelf, The Compulsive Reader, The Story Siren

6 comments:

  1. This is one of the first faerie books I read. It was fun and made me want to read more faerie books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've noticed that a lot of faerie books have really similar plots. I like the traditional fairy tale aspect of this one though, maybe it's worth picking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...this one didn't really grab me. I bought it after several recommendations, but I just could not get sucked into the plot. *sigh* I hate it when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds quite complicated, I might try Wings first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this one yet but I think I'm more tempted to read Wings first, even if the beginning of both books have similiar plots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! And thanks for linking to me. :)

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails