Monday, May 25, 2009

CONTEST: The Walking People by Mary Beth Keane

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt wants to give you a copy of The Walking People!


From Booklist
In her debut, Keane marries a deliciously old-fashioned style of storytelling with a fresh take on the immigrant experience. Awkward Greta Cahill struggles to be accepted in her rural village in the west of Ireland. Unlike Johanna, her gregarious, efficient sister, Greta has a hard time performing even the simplest tasks, but her tight-knit family loves her unconditionally and takes pains to ease her way. More and more of their neighbors desert their small village, immigrating to the cities and to America. Then Johanna meets Michael Ward, a gypsy who would like nothing better than to settle in one place, and the Cahill family suffers a terrible tragedy. The sisters, along with Michael, immigrate to New York City, where Johanna has difficulty adjusting, while Greta, surprisingly, finds work immediately and adapts to her new life. Tracking the family from 1956 to the present, Keane gives a heartfelt account of their pain and their joy while also minutely exploring varied settings and occupations. A warm, involving family drama that makes a triumph of Greta’s transformation from misfit to capable wife and mother.



Houghton Mifflin Harcourt has offered a copy of The Walking People to five of my readers! I thought this would be a great way to kick off Author Spotlight Week, with interviews from Cindy Pon, Stuart Neville, Louise Hawes and more!


DEADLINE TO ENTER: FRIDAY MAY 29

HOW TO ENTER:

+1 comment on this post with the suggestion of a good Summer Read

+1 for commenting on author interviews (+1 per author)

+3 for being a follower, previous or new

+10 for commenting on all Author Spotlight posts this week



(+50 for anyone who can get me an interview with Robin McKinley)

21 comments:

  1. For me, a good summer read has to grab me and make me want to not put it down. I have so many in my TBR pile but first I am saying THE HOST as I haven't read it and just got it.
    Author Interviews? I'd like to get? James Patterson, Mary Higgins Clark OR do you mean that I have done?? That would be Eileen Goudge, Josh Henkin,Tiffany Baker,Andriana Trigiani,Barbara Delinsky,J.R.LaGreca,Laura Griffin,Robert Goolrick, Annie Solomon,Donna VanLiere, Jennifer Haymore; AND I have been a follower. I think that is it?? Thanks for the giveaway chance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read it myself personally but I hear that Tera Lynn Child's Oh. My. Gods. is a good summer read.

    I'm a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mating Rituals of the North American WASP would be a good summer read.

    bjhopper(at)me(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a follower.

    bjhopper(at)me(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a good summer read would be Sunday at Tiffany's. It's a good book.

    I'm a follower.

    behapppppppy(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a good summer read, I'd suggest Silver Phoenix by Cindy Pon. It's a YA adventure book with a young Chinese heroine that discovers magical abilities in time to help save her father from an evil influence in the Emperor's court.

    Another fun read is "Dog About Town" - a mystery novel with a canine detective. It's light and fun!

    I'm a follower

    gaby317nyc AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooo ... I read SILVER PHOENIX and it is AWESOME!! Cindy Pon rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please count me in, I'm a follower. (:
    loony_balooga_91@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. there are so many the man from oakdale sounds terrific though it is one of the many on my tbr pile minsthins at optonline dot net

    ReplyDelete
  10. anything by jane austin or john grishom
    pksanddance(at)yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd think Shanghai Girls by Lisa See is going to be a good summer read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just finished Jantsen's Gift and loved it. I highly reccomend it.
    Thanks for the giveaway!
    Kimspam66(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dare to Die by Carolyn Hart would be a great summer read. I'm reading it now and loving it.
    eswright18 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Updated to add that I commented on the following author posts : Stuart Neville, Cindy Pon and Louise Hawes. I really enjoyed the interviews! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Prayers for Sale is my suggestion for a good Summer read.
    Thanks!
    1bmore @ gmail . com

    ReplyDelete
  16. " The Red Tent" by Anita Diamant although old, is my suggestion for a good summer read.

    madamerkf at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am now following your blog.

    madamerkf at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am currently reading Dan Simmons "The Terror" I would recommend that

    jason(at)allworldautomotive(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  19. "Water For Elephants" - a fantastic book about growing old, but not growing up.
    nic0ler917 at aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Commented on the Tamora Pierce post as well!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love to have this. I would suggest My Sister's Keeper.

    Thanks,

    darkfyre1(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails