Wednesday, May 27, 2009

AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT 7SS: Cindy Pon



If you are brand-new to my blog, you might not know how much I adore Cindy Pon.  Cindy's debut novel Silver Phoenix was released at the end of April; two picture books featuring her brush art are to follow, as well as the sequel to Silver Phoenix.  Cindy can also be found at her website, on Facebook, at The Enchanted Inkpot, and as part of Debs '09.  I am particularly pleased with this interview because I discovered how to get her to use capital letters.



Step #1
LIGHTNING ROUND

    • keep or toss? TOSS
    • Bing Crosby or Fred Astaire? FRED
    • Mac or PC? MAC
    • pool or hot tub? HOT TUB
    • pen or pencil? PEN
    • salty or sweet? SALTY
    • Jacob or Edward? EDWARD

Step #2
DESCRIBE a favorite scene or event from your childhood memory.

summer. pretending to be mermaids with my best friend cheryl at above ground pool in the backyard. i was a crap swimmer.

Step #3
TEACH US one or two of your favorite 4-star vocabulary words.

surreptitious : all secret and sly like.
bamboozled : totally conned and fooled.

Step #4
BOOK BLANKS
The last book I finished reading was _________________ by ____________.
  • EYES LIKE STARS by lisa mantchev.
I gave it ______ stars.
  • five stars. one of my favorite reads this year.
One word to describe it is_______________.
  • delicious.
Step #5
QUESTION: Your writing has been compared to Kristin Cashore and Tamora Pierce. What are some of the authors who have influenced your style?

tough. i enjoyed GRACELING immensely and am utterly ashamed to say
i've not read pierce. tho she is on my TBR list! i tend to like more spare and
direct prose. ursula le guin is a favorite prose writer or mine. i love neil gaiman and
his observations and the way he sees the world. it's reflected in his writing.
but i don't think i'm that astute?

Step #6
QUESTION: Was “Silver Phoenix” always the title you wanted for this novel?

no. i had originally named it SPIRIT BOUND. but my editor
didn't feel it conveyed the story enough. we brain stormed A LOT
before settling on SILVER PHOENIX.

Step #7
GIVE US THE SCOOP. Tell us something about yourself that’s exclusive to In Search of Giants (ie, has never been publicized in print or podcast interviews.)

you want all the dirt, don't you, aerin?
i've been around online for so long i'm pretty sure
i've said it all. ha. let me think ...

i got a progress report for having a "D" in algebra
in 8th grade. (those word problems killed me.) i was
so mortified that i forged my mom's signature. to this day,
it's probably one of the worst things i've ever done, in my mind.
thankfully, i raised my grade by the end of term.



I lloooovvvvveeee you, Cindy!

10 comments:

  1. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, hello, Cindy! I hearts you! I love, love, love Silver Phoenix. Ok, I will stop drooling now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cindy,

    Still to get my copy of Silver Phoenix. :(

    But seriously, is that the worst thing you've ever done? Forging your mom's sign on a progress report (Though I find it funny that they call it "progress" report when all it showed was my decline. Yeah, laugh it off Aerin-the-all-smart-gal)

    Well, thank you Aerin for making Cindy do the 7SS. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Love you too Cindy. I just thought I'd let you know that I regularly forged my mother's signature on spelling tests. This is because I kept forgetting to get her to sign it rather than any great embarrassment over my crappy spelling. If you came in without a signature you got into heaps of trouble so I just learned to forge.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute (about the progress report). I can totally see her doing this--and being ashamed to this day about it. :)

    And I had no idea the title was originally different--how neat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha!! awesome interview :)

    i know cindy and her lily-white soul, and i totally believe forging her mom's signature in 8th grade is the worst thing she's ever done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey cindy, thx for a bit more insight into who you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The scandal! Nice insightful, and Cindy is as charming as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love her after reading her the lightening round. We think the same! I really want to read this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love youuuuu too, aerin! and thanks for all the comments! yes, i still feel the horrible guilt of that night. awful!!! and it was like...25 years ago. HAHAH! oh dear!!

    i love me in prom dress in gilded frame. <3 hee!

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails