Wednesday, May 6, 2009

7SS: Emily Chaney Weaver

Emily Chaney Weaver is one of those people I stumbled upon via Facebook. We went to high school together for just a year (I moved a lot), and then reconnected in that sort of "oh, you're a friend of a friend on Facebook" kind of way. HOWEVER, since then, I have been following her blog, and have discovered she has an incredible  fashion sense (I want this one), and is more of a book lover than anyone I have ever met. And, people, I'm a book blogger.

From a recent email exchange in which I recommended PaperBackSwap:
 It’s funny that you should mention that. The kids’ school is having a book sale next weekend and they’ve been pimping it pretty hard core and my oldest was bugging me to go thru all my “unwanted” books. I told him I didn’t know what an “unwanted “ book was.  Seriously I looked thru some of the stuff I have, but couldn’t find a thing. I’ve got “In the Woods” too, couldn’t get thru it, but it’s such a nice hard back 1st printing that I don’t want to part with it. I think I’m a collector as well as a reader. Even with going to the library the past 2 months. I think I went and bought half of the books that I borrowed from Abe Books. Once I’ve read it I need to have it on my shelves. I have a serious problem. I am the definition of a bibliophile. I have custom bookplates, an old library seal that embosses my name directly onto any book, I have a subscription to the Easton Press, and a very complex system of notecards that I log every book I own into.
Please help me welcome my old-new-friend, Emily.



Step #1
LIGHTNING ROUND

  •  Mac or PC?  PC. Mac’s can’t run AutoCAD, but I can’t live without my Ipod and Iphone.
  • pencil or pen? Mechanical lead holder (pencil)
  • beer or wine?  Neither. I don’t drink. Chocolate milk is my drink of choice.
  • bath or shower?  Shower
  • aisle or window?  Window
  • Mickey or Kermit?  Kermit
  • nature or nurture?  Nature
Step #2
DESCRIBE a favorite scene or event from your childhood memory. 

I don’t think I have a favorite scene from my childhood. I have snippets here and there that I remember………Taking a nap on the old burlap like plaid couch before my sister was born listening to my Sesame Street records…………getting dressed up to ride on an airplane to go on vacation…….going to my grandparents house that was an old (1700’s) farmhouse in Vermont………riding in the backseats of all of my dad’s Oldsmobile Cutlass Supremes. Those are some of my favorite things I barely remember.

Step #3
TEACH US one or two of your favorite 4-star vocabulary words.

I love the word infinitesimal. All you have to do is to look at the word and you can get an idea of what it means. Something that is so small that it is infinite. Awesome word. I’m not much of a teacher. I’m more of a show and teller.

Step #4
BOOK BLANKS

  • The last book I finished reading was Adobe Classroom in a Book- Dreamweaver CS3 by Adobe. 
  • I gave it 3 stars. 
  • One word to describe it is simplistic.
Step #5
QUESTION: What do you find are the greatest benefits from blogging?

The benefits are really only psychological for me. I don’t have too many readers, but I love to write and sometimes I just need to get something down, or vent, or amuse myself. I like to call it brain vomit. It’s got to come out and what better place than a blog. It makes me feel like I’m accomplishing something in a day, I get to kind of “talk” to other people while I am home alone all day in the wilderness, and I like to pretend that someday a really important publisher/editor will read it and know instantly that I am brilliant and offer me a 5 book, 7 figure deal. Writing a blog is kind of like playing a media lottery game. Maybe, just maybe, I might hit the big one. It’s a long shot, but it is so fun to hope and dream about it.

Step #6
QUESTION: What’s an assumption people make about architects that really isn’t true? 

Nothing. It’s all true. They are pompous, demanding, always right, pretentious, wear square architect glasses, use big words that no one else really uses like “juxtaposition” and “longitudinal”, dress in boring clothes, and think that everyone cares about architecture. I say “they” because I am trying to exclude myself from them. I am trained as an architect, but I have never really felt like one. I am none of the things above except for the square architect glasses. Everything else has always put me off about architects. They have always been very chauvinistic to me (the male ones) and the women architects I have met have been few and far between, but the few that I have met are struggling so hard to prove themselves in a male dominated profession that they come off a bitchy. It’s not the place for me.

Step #7
GIVE US THE SCOOP.  Tell us something about yourself that’s exclusive to In Search of Giants (ie, has never been publicized in print or podcast interviews.)

I buy bridal magazines. I’ve been married for 10 years and have no reason whatsoever to buy them, but I love the dresses, and the big diamond rings, and the tiered cakes, and bizarre floral creations. The magazines are such a store house for everything lacey and sparkly, and decadent. It’s like a different world where everyone is in love, has tons of money to blow, wears beautiful clothes and eats expensive food. The dresses just take my breath away. The magazines are like my secret guilty pleasure. I used to try and hide them from my husband, but now he just laughs and humors me when I show him the $125,000, 20 carat rings I want him to buy for me.


Because I cannot say enough about Emily's fashion sense (I'm a run of the mill GAP girl), I have to show you her shoes:

 
Smart, sexy and talented - thanks for the interview, Emily!!!

4 comments:

  1. I loved her description of Architects.

    The architect in the Matrix spoke some big words too:

    "Your life is the sum of a remainder of an unbalanced equation inherent in the programming of the matrix. You are the eventuality of an anomaly which despite my sincerest efforts I have been unable to eliminate from what is otherwise a harmony of mathematical precision. While it remains a burden deciduously avoided it is not unexpected and thus not beyond a measure of control. Which has led you inexcerably here?" :D :D

    It was fun meeting Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, just wanted to write you back about shrinking violet. yes, i did the contest where you had to find songs that fit a shy person if that's what you meant.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Where have I been? I'm going back and reading as many Seven Step Scoops as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Infinitesimal is now my new favorite word!

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails