Tuesday, May 5, 2009

7SS: Ellen Oh

If you're a follower of "In Search of Giants," you know that Ello is one of my favoritest people ever in the universe (partly because we received our introduction from one of my other favoritest people, Precie.)

If you're not a follower (um, why aren't you?), then let me introduce you to Ellen Oh, whose agented manuscript about the Seven Kingdoms is currently out for submission.  She's also one of the forces behind An Enchanted Inkpot.


Step #1
LIGHTNING ROUND

  • Krispy Kreme or Dunkin’ Donuts?  Krispy Kremes rule!!!!
  • Hunger Games or Graceling?     Very tough call, but I'm gonna go with Hunger Game
  • Mac or PC?    I have a PC but desperately covet a MAC.
  • bath or shower?  Shower. And since I shower everyday, sometimes twice a day (i'm a bit obsessive), there is no way I'm cleaning a tub that often. blech!
  • salty or sweet? Both. Usually together. But if I have to choose one over the other, usually I go sweet.
  • Paris or London? I've been to Paris but never to London - so I pick LOndon only because I want to go!
  • beer or wine?  Beer, unless you have sangria. I love sangria!

Step #2
DESCRIBE a favorite scene or event from your childhood memory.

I'm a brain deady Mommy! What memories????
Alright, I remember one. When I was about 13, my parents went to Main for a family trip. Even though we were not well off, my parents felt that since we were in Maine we had to splurge on a nice lobster dinner. So we went to a wonderful seaside restaurant and I remember everyone but me had a lobster, even my 5 year old sister. I was allergic to lobster and shrimp when I was younger so they bought me a nice steak. The weather was beautiful, the place was wonderful and I remember feeling so happy. The next day we went to the each and picked snails, clams and mussels from the receded shoreline and my parents cooked them up right on the beach. It was wonderful. I think its why I always have an affinity to the coast. It brings back great memories.

Step #3
TEACH US one or two of your favorite 4-star vocabulary words.

Motherfu... errrr sorry. I like small simple words. But my favorite fancy shmancy word is Tintinnabulation. I first learned it reading Edgar Allen Poe and his poem The Bells. I loved that poem. "And the tintinnabulation of the bells, bells, bells!" Nearly 25 years later and I can still remember that poem!

Step #4
BOOK BLANKS
  • The last book I finished reading was MORIBITO by NAHOKO UEHASHI.
  • I gave it 5 stars.
  • One word to describe it is MORIBITO. HE HE.  NO IT WAS GREAT.
Step #5
QUESTION: How does your “previous life” in law within the non-profit sector influence the themes you include in your writing?
Ok so the one thing you learn as a lawyer is to write in excruciating detail and overexplain yourself in an attempt to never leave any uncertainty. This same process is unfortunately in my creative writing. So I have a tendency to overexplain. First I tell you what's going to happen, then I tell you it happened and then I recap what happened. It sucks. It takes me several revisions and skilled beta readers who are good at smacking me upside my head to catch this ugly little habit.

One good thing about my legal training is that it gives me an analytical mind so that I really look at scenes or storylines from many different angles. I'm always looking for loopholes, problems, issues, solutions, etc. I outline to death and map out everything searching out the weaknesses. It makes for a thoroughly researched story.

Step #6
QUESTION: What makes you proud of yourself?
My children and my husband. My family and friends. My agent. But I don't want to say I'm proud. Rather, I'm so very grateful. Every day I count my blessings and give thanks because I have been blessed and I'm so thankful for all I have.

Step #7
GIVE US THE SCOOP.  Tell us something about yourself that’s exclusive to "In Search of Giants" (ie, has never been publicized in print or podcast interviews.
 I have a deathly fear of..... curtains! That sounds weird right? But I used to have this reoccuring nightmare where I was in an empty room facing a dark open window  framed with white billowy curtains blowing in a soft wind. There was nothing else. No monsters. No people. No sound even. Just the curtains blowing in the wind, but it left me with such a feeling of utter terror that I have never completely gotten over it. In fact just typing this out gave me horrible goosebumps. I know this says something freaky psychological about me but I have never analyzed it. I just avoid draperies and tend to stick to venetian blinds now!



Ello, you are awesome.  Thanks for letting me interview you!

12 comments:

  1. I love you Ellen - you are indeed awesome. You shower twice a day huh... I admire your cleanliness and I wonder how much of this obsessiveness is spurred by the need to wash off evidence of surreptitious Krisipie Kreme eating????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh am a big time Ello-fan too! :D

    Okay so I went to Ello's blog via Sarah's coz she always used to say "Oh She's so funny". Since I generally like being the funny guy around and I don't believe in the term "healthy-competition" i went to check what the hoopla was all about.

    And I saw Aerin commenting on her posts... REGULARLY! I never ever see her doing that? (Sorry Aerin! :D) And I was so jealous! But then when I read her posts I was Ello-ed to death laughing. You are LEGEN-wait-for-it-DARY!

    Loved the 7SS! :P

    PS: Aerin,
    I checked for you on facebook and found an "Aerin Rose Swimwear"!!! That's not you right???? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man it is up! Aerin is my Wonder Woman! We haz a mutual admiration society going on! But we miss Precie. Although I am sharing her pain as I am in grading hell right now. GAH!

    Thank you WW. I am sending big smoochy kisses stained with chocolate glazed krispy kreme sweetness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh Oooooooh!!!! I have a glitter star!!! Me me me!!! So psyched!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. krispy kreme over dunkin donuts? I thought knew you Ellen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview! Ellen you rock! Aerin to all those who think author interviews are boring or too formula, they need to tear a page out of your play book. Fantastic! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey E,

    The curtains thing - I wonder if it's a 'harken back' thing to 'scary movies' - when the curtains rippled, it meant the door or window was open - and the bad guy was hidden in the house - maybe behind the curtain?

    Good luck with your manuscript, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janey - love you too! When are you gonna come stateside? We go eat donuts together, kay?

    aniket - you are too sweet! big smooches!

    Paul - don't tell me you are a dunkin man? we need to have a krispy and dunkin side to side taste comparison test. Then we'll convert you!

    Susan - thank you thank you! And yes Aerin is a superstar!

    Robin - ooooooh, you are right, scary hitchcockesque movies right? Yeah that would explain it. and thanks for the luck - I needs it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for Ellen! Sorry I was so late to comment--but I loved the interview. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Curtains . . . hum, I used to dream about bridges and going over water and ending up drowning.

    Wonder what they mean. . . ?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great interview! Very cute and interesting. I'm with you on the Krispy Kremes too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Aerin! Thank you very much for this great interview with Ellen. I learned so many new things about her! I especially love the lightning round. :o)

    Ellen, your beachside memories are so wonderful and awesome!!! I want to do those things with family too!!! And I totally understand what you mean about your terror in your dream about curtains.

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails