Wednesday, May 20, 2009

7SS: Chip Lynch

He uses the word "Faustian," he lets me ask him dangerous questions, and he watches "Cupid." Meet my buddy Chip Lynch. Admittedly, I have not seen Chip since the mid-90s when I was in college. Still, Chip is one of the only people I've ever met of whom I have no negative memories. I mean, no toilet paper stuck to a shoe, no verbal gaffe I made about his mother or taste in clothing. Plus, he and my friend Laura set me up with a guy whom I'm not ashamed to admit that I dated. Chip is one in a million, and I'm very happy to introduce him to you, and you to him.


Step #1
LIGHTNING ROUND

  • Mac or PC? PC
  • bicycle or motorcycle? Bicycle
  • Piven or Cannavale? Piven
  • shaken or stirred? Shaken
  • Spero or Couric? Spero
  • over or under? Ooohhh.... Under
  • keep or toss? Keep, but I not-so-secretly wish I was a tosser
Step #2
DESCRIBE a favorite scene or event from your childhood memory.

Childhood was full of good memories, but I can only rarely actually recall them. A recurring scene was playing in the back yard of my parents' house and the neighboring few yards. There was a row of forsythia bushes along the back border which are the most iconic things in my childhood memory. In springtime they'd bloom bright yellow which is my favorite color to this day. The overgrowth was just enough that we could get three or four friends huddled in a little section that we'd slowly hallowed out over the years for some relative privacy. This factored heavily into my very first kiss with a girl whose name I ashamedly cannot remember. We dug holes until we reached some buried cables, hid things we didn't want our parents to find (including a playgirl magazine that was back there for at least a week so's everyone had a chance to get disgusted by it), and generally used it as a base of operations for whatever it was we were getting into for the summer.

Step #3
TEACH US one or two of your favorite 4-star vocabulary words.

I'm not sure I really have a four star vocabulary! One of my favorite words of late is "cromulent" which suffers mainly from not being a widely accepted word at all, and does not so far as I can tell have a published definition. It was introduced during an episode of "The Simpsons" in the following exchange:

Mrs. Krabappel: I never heard the word embiggen until I moved to Springfield.
Ms. Hoover: I don't know why. It's a perfectly cromulent word.

It's use is generally to imbue some legitimacy to something which otherwise doesn't have any.

I...I... I don't know if I have another. My favorite word is "porridge"... does that count? If anyone doesn't know what it means, we can have a little chat separately.

Step #4
BOOK BLANKS

  • The last book I finished reading was Eric by Terry Pratchett.
  • I gave it 3.5 stars (out of 5).
  • One word to describe it is Faustian.
Step #5
QUESTION: What’s the strangest thing about women, in comparison to men?


Wow, that's a dangerous question.

Women, as a group, seem to have trouble agreeing on a definition of Feminism (see "Sarah Palin"). Men, as a group, will agree with almost any definition of Feminism, just to avoid having to talk about it.

Step #6
QUESTION: What’s one of your favorite places to travel but you’d never live there?


The question seems to be phrased to imply places we've been... I'd love to work on the south pole for a while, but I can't really call it a favorite place to travel, having never done so. In short, tho, the answer is "Anywhere that isn't in the U.S.". I've only been off continent once, through Europe, and I loved every aspect of it, but I just don't think any parts of it could be "home". There's something unique about U.S. Americans. We're kind of strange, actually -- imaginative due mainly to our laziness, I think, which is a combination you just don't find anywhere else. Inside the U.S., I've lived all over the place and the only negative thing I have to say about anywhere is that some of them are too cold for too long. Since I'm currently living in one of those places, I can't say that it's a criteria for never-living-there, which leaves the whole country as my oyster.

Step #7
GIVE US THE SCOOP. Tell us something about yourself that’s exclusive to In Search of Giants (ie, has never been publicized in print or podcast interviews.)


Wow, you want a scoop? 'bout me? I might be scoopless... the whole method of communicating with the world has changed so much that I can't think of anything interesting that hasn't been broadcast on my blog or facebook or, well, SOMEwhere.

I can tell you that I've been infested with June Bugs again lately, and I'm terribly squeamish about that. There was one in my piano yesterday and I dang near had to leave the house so I didn't have to hear it buzzing. I'll have to go hunting for it's body a few weeks from now (long enough to make sure it's not going to have some last minute spasm and scare the bejeezus out of me) and find a nice long tacky stick to pull it out with, wherever it lies.



Thanks, Sir Chipley.  Now get your ass out here to visit all the little ones!!

2 comments:

  1. Yay, I'm famous! Also, I ramble. Oh well!

    June, June, I'm totally coming out in June. Not sure when exactly yet, I have to work that out. Let me know when you and the family are free so I can meet everyone and help create some new non-negative memories. ;-)

    *happy dance*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol at the keep or toss answer. Honest thoughts indeed. :D

    Two thumbs up at the 4 star vocab. word too. :P

    7SS are great fun!

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails