Monday, April 13, 2009

So You Want to Write by Marge Piercy and Ira Wood

So You Want to Write (2nd Edition): How to Master the Craft of Writing Fiction and Memoir So You Want to Write (2nd Edition): How to Master the Craft of Writing Fiction and Memoir
by Marge Piercy and Ira Wood


August 1st 2005 by Leapfrog Press 
Paperback, 288 pages

097289845X   (isbn13: 9780972898454)

rating: 4 of 5 stars

"I believe the barriers to productivity are both inner and outer."


Marge Piercy is a novelist/poet and Ira Wood is a publisher.  This collaboration is like a workshop-in-a-book rather than a collection of, for example, writing prompts.  I can imagine So You Want to Write: How to Master the Craft of Writing Fiction as a text in a college writing class.  It's too detailed for a novice to simply pick up and begin writing, but it would be a good resource to study in a group setting, with a month or so of coached reading and writing.

I also like that it's more or less current.  The first edition was printed in 2001; the second edition in 2005.  With information about rejection letters, FAQs about agents and publishers, and what to expect when you get famous, as well as lessons in creating seductive beginnings, writing a memoir without sounding like a victim, and finding narrative strategies, this is a dense volume you might want to add to your library.

This would be a good book to add to a collection of writing books, but I doubt it would be the only writing book you'll ever need.  Get it from the library before you buy it.

2 comments:

  1. If you're interested in memoir writing, have you read William Zinsser's Writing About Your Life?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Aerin, you went to full feeds! I LOVE YOU! That is SO awesome! I'm tickled absolutely pink! I love it!

    I haven't read this book, but it sounds great. One of my local Borders has an awesome writing book section, and there's quite a few books I haven't checked out. I'm going to put this at the top of the list!

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails