Friday, April 17, 2009

The Explosionist by Jenny Davidson

The Explosionist The Explosionist
by Jenny Davidson

July 1st 2008 by HarperTeen
Hardcover, 384 pages
0061239755 (isbn13: 9780061239755)

rating: 3 of 5 stars

"As a small child, Sophie used to tell herself the story of her own life, pictures and captions running inside her head just like a real book."

The Explosionist is, to say the least, a complicated story. It begins with Sophie, daydreaming in chemistry class, eighty years after the Battle of Waterloo. In Sophie's world, however, the French won at Waterloo, the current European chancellor bears a striking resemblance to the person we know as Adolf Hitler, Sigmund Freud is a radio hack, and Alfred Nobel is a disembodied voice.

Despite a bomb, a murder, a national plot toward war, one of the best lines in the book is about cake.
"I don't like cake very much," Sophie said. "The one really good thing about cake is that it's an excellent icing delivery system."
If you are easily confused by history (in other words, if your best association with Waterloo is the ABBA song), you may want to read up on it a little at, say, Wikipedia, just to get yourself on sure footing.  Also, if you're not keen on reading books in a series as-they-are-released, you might want to wait for the next installment(s) of this one.   Because, in my opinion, any book that holds icing in such high esteem is certainly one worth reading.

4 comments:

  1. "I don't like cake very much," Sophie said. "The one really good thing about cake is that it's an excellent icing delivery system."I feel the same way about French fries and ketchup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this sitting in my TBR pile, so I will definitely get to it someday. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good. I have to admit, though, that the cover first attracted me to read your review. xD but I'm glad it all worked out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I loved the Waterloo/ABBA reference! :) When I was little we always listened to ABBA in the car, so I learned the song way before I knew anything about the history.

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails