Monday, April 13, 2009

100 Cupboards by N.D. Wilson

100 Cupboards 100 Cupboards
by N.D. Wilson

December 26th 2007 by Random House Books for Young Readers
Hardcover, 304 pages
0375838813 (isbn13: 9780375838811)

  rating: 3 of 5 stars


"Henry, Kansas, is a hot town."


If this book hadn't been recommended to me, I wouldn't have gone past the first two pages.  There's only so much information about hot Kansas towns I can take.  Henry York arrives in Henry, Kansas, to live with his Aunt Dotty, Uncle Frank, and his cousins Penny, Henrietta and Anastasia.  Life is about as normal as anyone would expect in Kansas - from Uncle Frank's truck to evening barbeques and baseball games.  One night, plaster starts to chip off of Henry's bedroom wall and fall into his hair.  He finds cupboards, all showing window-like portals to other worlds.  Add in an ugly witch, a strange creature, and you've got the makings of a wannabe Narnia.


This is a good book for middle age boys.  It's fun and fast-paced and guy-friendly.  It would be well paired with Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary.

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad you said something. I was actually thinking about buying this book. What is up with all the Henrys?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to actually read some N.D. Wilson since I post his writing articles on my blog. You know what kills me about this book? The publication date. What publisher releases a title THE DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "There's only so much information about hot Kansas towns I can take"

    He he he. That made me giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mixing the words "Henry" with "Kansas" automatically sticks me in Wizard-of-Oz land. And the plot actually sounds like it might be similar to it too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks cute! I really love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always on the lookout for MG for boys, both for my own sons, and for me and my writing. This looks like a terrific book--another Amazon click, sigh.....
    Thanks for visiting my blog! I was mistaken, when I saw the chocolate on your face, I assumed the worst.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe I need to rethink this one. Sometimes I overdose on fantasy. I couldn't get into this one, but I'll look at it again.

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails