Sunday, January 25, 2009

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

Inkheart (Inkheart Trilogy, #1) Inkheart  
by Cornelia Funke

June 1st 2005 (first published 2003) by Scholastic Paperbacks
534 pages
0439709105   (isbn13: 9780439709101) 

rating: 3 of 5 stars

The premise of Inkheart is that a Meggie, a precocious preteen, discovers that her father Mortimer (Mo) has the ability to call into reality the characters he reads aloud from books.  And, unfortunately, he allowed a pretty nasty chap to escape, a nasty chap who will stop at nothing to force Mo to read other nasty characters into the world.  When Mo is kidnapped, Meggie and her great-aunt Elinor set out along the Italian countryside to find him.

The truth is, I wasn't super keen on Inkheart.  The plot is decent but predictable.  It was well written but not Rowling-well-written.  And unlike, for example, Harry Potter, which read better than it translated to screen, I think Inkheart, for all its book-loving characters and plot, was written to be seen.

Let's be honest.  I bought this book because it was on a display for the just-released movie of the same title starring Brendan Fraser.

Brendan Fraser. 

Like I don't spend enough on books already without publishers using him to lure me into buying more. 

After I read the book, I went in search of information about the movie.  Its website is gorgeous.  The cast is outstanding:  Paul Bettany, Helen Mirren, Jim Broadbent (is there anything that man can't do?).  My secret confession is that I think Andy Sirkis as Capricorn looks particularly fab.

I know, I'm digressing.  I think the point is that the book itself was not enough to make me care about reading the next in the Inkworld series.  But throw in Brendan Frasier, and I just might buy the rest of the trilogy.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review, Aerin. I've been catching the ads for this series in my kids' scholastic orders this year (my daughter has no interest in reading it, or I'd have ordered it by now).

    I was thinking of buying it, just because it looked up my alley, and yes, throw in Brandon and what can I do? Maybe I'll just check the first out of the library and see if I'd like to own it for the kiddies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was playing in london and my best friend and i made the mistake of choosing when the earth stood still to watch instead. i had not heard of ink heart yet. i wish i had seen that instead--i may see it alone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I'm not the only one who wasn't over the moon about Inkheart. I wanted so much to love it, but I actually gave up halfway through the book because I was bored. I hardly ever give up on books. It wasn't a terrible read by any means, I just couldn't get excited about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. when i first read ink heart i was nevous because the book is BIG i have never read a book that is 57 chapters long but after i got to the middle of the book i got bored and put it down for a cuple of days but then i read it and finished the book i loved it and emidiety i bought the second. its better to read a book that is unfimilier to you than being used to it i NEVER judge a book by its cover i saw the cover and said "well this look ok" but it turned out to be fantastic i LOVED it.

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails