Monday, December 1, 2008

In Memory of Dewey

"Birth, life, and death -- each took place on the hidden side of a leaf." Toni Morrison

Dewey from Hidden Side of a Leaf passed away on Tuesday evening.  Her husband just posted the news on her site.  Dewey did a lot of amazing things, but I knew her from helping organize the October Read-a-Thon.  The connection is more tenuous than, say, my online friendship with Janey, whom I'm meeting for tea next week (though she doesn't know it.)  I find myself grieving more than I thought I would - I guess Moonie's onto something, after all.

Moonrat's Goopy Thanksgiving Message was foremost on my mind; Dewey is the first online friend who's passed away. 

A friend said recently, "Aren't you a little worried that you're mixing up your online friends with your real friends?" I said, "Uh, no." Because blogging is no longer "virtual" even in the most traditional sense of the word virtual.

If you were acquainted with Dewey, please go over and pay your condolences.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry. It's difficult to think of losing anyone we know. I agree with Moonrat. The virtual part seems nonexistent anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't believe this when I saw it in my reader this morning. Thank you for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such awful news. I didn't know Dewey virtually or otherwise but I feel so sad that one of our number has passed.

    I'll FB you re tea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry. And you're right. My "virtual" friends have been my real friends and real social life for a long time.

    I do worry about my blogging friends' health. I worry they'll just stop blogging, completely disappear, and I won't know that they've passed or something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear that anyone has passed.

    SS, that has occurred to me too - none of my real life close contacts know about the blog - I'm not letting them loose on it - so maybe I need to add something to my will or something? Please tell my online friends!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry. I didn't know her, but I'm still sorry... and yeah, there are quite a large number of blog buddies that are way more to me than virtual friends... I would be crushed to lose contact with them permanently.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is a big topic. I'm very sorry....I've thought about this. But I agree that the virtual part is nonexistent. For me, my blogging friends are almost more real than my in-life friends, which are very, very few.
    It must feel strange for you, mixed in with the sadness.

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails