Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Room of My Own. In a Book.

Jen Robinson recently posted about her favorite fictional rooms from children's literature.
The post was inspired by Charlotte at Charlotte's Library, who's been doing a series about favorite fictional rooms.

I don't have the time to go into as much depth as I would like, since I really should be NaNoing. However, in the midst of my NaNoing, I've spent time designing the locales - towns, homes, rooms - where my story is set. So it seems fitting to pay tribute to the places in which I've "lived."

These are the places where I spent the most time in my childhood (age 12 and younger).

5. The Residence (outside the General Mundy in Damar) from The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley.

Where Harry began, staring at her glass of orange juice, where she first met Corlath, where she smoked cigars with Jack Dedham, and where she returned to introduce Lady Amelia to her namesake, Aerin Amelia.

4. The Bathroom of the Metropolitan Museum of Art from From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by e.l. konisburg The place where Claudia waited, perched on a toilet seat, until the guards had done their nighttime checks. Then she was free, free in one of the most wonderful places on earth.

3. The Ballroom in Buckingham Palace set up as a dining room for the Big Friendly Giant from The BFG by Roald Dahl

The ridiculously fantastic details of the lavish breakfast that the Queen orders for the BFG, as Sophie looks on, was a passage I read again and again, from the table made of grandfather clocks and a ping pong table to the dozens and dozens of sausages the BFG eats.

2. The Living Room at the March house from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.

It's possible I learned to lay on my stomach writing directly because of the "Christmas won't be Christmas" opening line from Jo. Christmas by the fire, Beth at her piano, this is the room I spent the most time with the March sisters.

1. The Bob-Whites of the Glen Clubhouse from the Trixie Belden series.
Trixie, Honey, Jim, Mart, Brian and eventually Diana and Dan spend countless hours in the Wheeler's renovated gatehouse.  I know the entire path from Honey's room in the mansion down to the clubhouse and across the lane to the Belden house.  But it's in the clubhouse that the gang is at its best, unified for good and, of course, in close-knit quarters where brushing against Jim's knee is not out of the question.

3 comments:

  1. Good stuff, Aerin! I forgot about the clubhouse. Excellent choice. I like the bathroom at the Met, too.

    Thanks for playing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about the great hall in Hogwarts? I want to live there and look up at the fake starry nights.

    So - I can't believe you got my Ursula reference. You absolutely choked me up! I nearly swallowed my much abused tongue laughing! I take it you get to watch alot of Little Mermaid also?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for playing from me too!

    I haven't read Trixie Beldens for years, and have no memory of the clubhouse, but I have spent a lot of time as well in your other rooms!

    I've never been able to read on my stomach, though, let alone write!

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails