Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Anatomy of NaNoWriMo Registration

So.

I'm registered.

My first NaNoWriMo. I'm AerinRose. Feel free to add me to your list of friends.

(I wouldn't have done it if I didn't have an idea, but there's a story that's just spilling out of my fingers that I want to give a chance.)

So here's how it happened:

Lynn Viehl at Paperback Writer started posting advice about NaNo. (She has more advice here and from Literary FanGirl here.)

Unbeknownst to me, celebrated upcoming author Cindy Pon registered. (You know Cindy - the gorgeous person who looks far better on webcam than any person anywhere has any right to be.)

Her fellow celebrated upcoming author Stuart Neville registered. I took some solace when the fantastic Josephine Damian wrote,

WTF? NaNoWriMo? Say it ain't so!

There's nothing that annoys me more than these NaNo blog posts that say "2843 words today! Woot!" - People, stringing words together on the page for the sake of stringing words together to make it to a finish line is not writing!

Writing is not a numbers game!

Discover the joys of outlining and you'll never get stalled on a writing project, or need this crazy NaNo thing.

Gerard, of all people! Jeesh!

NaNo chatter is just one reason I'm taking a blog hiatus in November - I have a term paper to write and NO - I won't be using NaNo to write it!

In the same comments section, Ello verified that she had registered:

I'm in. Although I don't know what I'm going to write about because I start submissions this week (OMG!) and agent said sit tight on writing anything. But I think I have to take advantage of Nano and write something next month. Just don't know what it will be. I'm elloecho so please buddy me!


Stephen Parrish registered, blaming Stuart Neville and challenging Erica Orloff to Scrabble, thereby sealing his stiletto doom.

I discovered that a book that I'm incredibly excited about  had its conception in NaNoWriMo.


My secret online crush Moonrat registered.

The love of my life, the dearest darling Precie will be doing a modified version of 10,000 words.

When I posted about my indecision on the oracle that is Facebook, my high school friend Sir Chip Lynch said that he was considering participating again.

So I clearly have this solid circle of fellow participants (well, although I consider Moonie and Conduit sort of untouchable, but, still.)  Add all of that to the fact that (see above) I do for once in my life have a story I'm excited about, and....I registered.

Now I'm off to do my happy dance and say "yay me!"  And then get to writing.  See y'all in December!**



** Not really - I will still be holding a contest during November.  Be sure to add me to your readers so you get all the updates!

7 comments:

  1. LOL!!!! YAY, Rosey!!!!! Go, Rosey, go! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, see, if you came in January, you could be a beta reader.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just buddied you!!! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did it in 2007 and succeeded. I've got a good first draft of an unpublishable novel, and I always promised myself I'd write a novel. So I've done it.

    I'm registered this year, but I don't know what I'm going to do.

    By the way, I'm "nathan_black" on the NaNo website.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, like Precie, have set myself a challenge - I'm going to finish my WIP in November and hopefully the NaNo tide will take me along with it. I'm on 18,000 right now so it would be cheating to sign up. But I'm gonna follow it all. 'Svery exciting.

    Best of luck everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't go on full radio silence! At least participate in the biweekly check-ins or grab a livejournal account for the meantime! This is my sixth year participating, and the annoying word count posts are good motivational tools. I say drafting IS a numbers game. Keep us updated on your progress!

    Literary fangirl
    learningtoread.livejournal.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm registered, too! My username is Dewey.

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails