Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Opinion: Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy

All right, so I am sick beyond sick, grossly drowning in green phlegm sick, so forgive me my clumsy review, which I just posted on Goodreads.com. Or, just skip the review and go get this book. Now!

Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy by Gary D. Schmidt


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars

I ordered "Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy" from PaperbackSwap.com, as an afterthought. I had never heard of it, but it had the Newbery, so I thought I'd try it out.



Oh, my. I can't recommend this book enough. The writing itself leaves me speechless. The characterizations, the excellent balance of action and introspection, the dialogue are all completely flawless.



Then there's the story - a tale of a small Maine town at the turn of the 20th century, and the 13-yr-old minister's son who has just relocated there. Although he wants to move back home to Boston, he meets a girl just his age named Lizzie. Their friendship defies everyone's expectations, and changes his entire life.



The backstory of the race relations is true; the rest is fiction, but it seems like the quiet, deft tale handed down age to age, hand to hand. It's truly a brilliant, lovely piece of literature.


View all my reviews.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a brilliant story.

    Soooo sorry to hear you're ill - hurry up and be better soon - see!

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whiskey! You need a shot of Whiskey, squeeze of lemon juice, a slice of lemon imbedded with cloves and fill up glass with boiling water. If it's too hot add more whiskey! Ask McK - we Celts know how to manage a cold!

    Books sounds wonderful. Get well soon. Big cuddle x

    pssst Whiskey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you feel better soon. I accidentally-on-purpose might have dropped that book into my online shopping basket. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, check this out. That book was written by an English professor at the college I graduated from, Calvin. I even mentioned Calvin in my last post. I haven't read it yet, but I will eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok this I really want to read. And never would have seen if you hadn't posted about it. Will go and buy it and give you credit for turning me to it!

    E

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails